With Healthcare reform becoming the base for many conversations in America, cost of medication and treatment comes to mind, especially with Obamacare starting soon.
Traditional medications from Pharmacies have been long accepted as the go to for physical and mental ailments, but are there alternatives out there? Are there ways to prevent and treat symptoms on your own, instead of just bandaids for the symptoms from JRS Medical? Homeopathic remedies are on the rise and are said to help your body work more efficiently on its own thus decreasing the need for medications should an ailment arise. There are multiple alternatives to traditional medicines out there for common senior ailments such as:
- Heart Disease
- Aches and Pains
- Mental Confusion, Dementia, Alzheimer’s
Since natural medications have been around as long as mankind, there is a lot of room for ‘Old Wives Tales’ and false hope. Everyone reacts differently, so what works for one person may not work for you. Results of many newer remedies have not been demonstrated or tested which leaves a lot open to interpretation on effectiveness. Some tried and true herbal medications are:
- Goldenseal to help strengthen the immune system and used as an herbal antibiotic. It has anti-inflammatory and astringent properties.
- Calendula is generally applied to the skin rather than taken orally. Used to treat burns, cuts and bruises as to prevent infection and speed the healing process. Calendula has also been used to treat dermatitis.
- Garlic is one of the most widely used herbal remedies. It’s uses include lowering high blood pressure, reducing the risk of some cancers, tick bites and some fungal infections of the skin.
- Liver Cod Oil has many uses just as garlic. To name a few it helps promote strong bones and teeth, healthy joints and nervous system. Liver Cod Oil is also said to have properties that promote a healthy digestive tract.
- Rosemary is most known for having memory boosting properties. Other known ailments that rosemary is used for are circulation and nerve problems, muscle pain, liver congestion and bloating.
As with any medication, there are dangers and possible complications. Make sure to discuss with a healthcare provider to ensure no toxic interaction of current medications will occur and what remedy may be best for you.